Draft one


It has been 15 minutes since I have been hiding behind this closet, and they have proven ineffective in trying to find me so far. However, I know this to be a fruitless endeavor in the long run, so before I am disposed of I can prepare a memento of my life.

We first met each other three weeks ago. I was with my group of friends in a store when he walked in, and from the moment he lay his eyes on me he knew he wanted me like he wanted no one else. We both wanted companionship; he had just gotten over his last relationship, and I was gladly single and ready to join a long-lasting journey with a special someone.

From that day, we were inseparable. I helped him with all his school notes, his tests, his exams, his random note taking, all of it involved me, and for that I was grateful. All I ever wanted in my life was to be of use to someone, and for him to share an equally deep appreciation for me was something I cherished very deeply. Every day he would take special care of me - clean my cap, remove the ink around the tip gently with a clean and soft tissue, and always making sure his hands were clean before using me. I tried to reciprocate this affection as well as I could, making sure I was never leaking and always maintaining a steady flow. He bragged to other boys in school to me, but they didn't quite get it. No one did. Our bond was what only we cherished, and I care not for the rest of the world who did not care for us.

I hear rustling around the door of the room. I think he's coming back to this room after having gone around the house, so I better finish this fast.

The problems arose about two days ago. It was a holiday but he wanted to write down some notes to prepare for his upcoming assignment, so he uncapped me and started to write. However something was not quite right with me today, and I struggled to give ink. He cocked his head to the side, attempting to understand this anomaly. Then for the first time in my life he had to shake me to get me to work. It was truly shameful and I immediately understood our relationship was about to end. I didn't want this! I didn't intentionally run out so as to cause him this inconvenience. I want me to last forever. I want us to last forever. The warmth and comfort I felt in his hands was the most amount of care and affection I have ever received. To lose this would be to lose myself.

I think he found me. I hear rustling around the closet as it is pulled forward and torch light shines on me. "There you are!" he exclaims. I am frozen in fear and cannot move away. My reckoning is upon me, as he shall cast me away with the rest of us that can no longer serve him. I have no use now.
"Man I'm going to be late for school, took me ages to find this," he mutters. He throws me into his bag, zips it up and rushes out the door. I have no reason to be, but I feel reassured that everything will be ok now.

Comments